Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Niels Dekker - mail address until 2008-12-31 (nd_mail_address_valid_until_2008-12-31_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-20 06:00:35

David Abrahams wrote:
> * on Win32, invoking cmake from inside my Visual Studio 2008 Express
> command prompt window, I get
> S:\xp32\build\boost-cmake>cmake .
> -- The C compiler identification is MSVC
> -- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC
> CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
> found. Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or
> name.
> -- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available
> -- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
> Studio 9.0/VC
> /bin/cl.exe
> CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
> found. Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or
> name.
> CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake
> failed -- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft
> Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe -- broken
> CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
> 2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):
> The C compiler "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
> 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe"
> is not able to compile a simple test program.
>
> It fails with the following output:
>
> CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
> CMakeLists.txt:28 (project)
>
> -- Configuring done

FWIW, I have Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition installed here (Win XP, 32
bits), and it doesn't have an RC.EXE either. Even though
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9.aspx suggests that
RC.EXE is included with all editions of Visual C++ 2008.

Luckily I still had a few RC.EXE's at my disc:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\RC.Exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\rc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Common7\Tools\Bin\RC.Exe

So maybe you need to install Microsoft SDK...?

Kind regards,

--
Niels Dekker
http://www.xs4all.nl/~nd/dekkerware