Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-26 13:16:49

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Personally I find the embedding of toolset and version in library names to
> be problematic... in this case it makes the FindBoost.cmake really
> complicated and binds the (what should be simple) business of using the
> libraries to details that are utterly irrelevant here.

While I, personally, agree with you, I just don't think this is
feasible. FindBoost is there so that people can use Boost from CMake,
and that includes using existing and future Boost releases that depend
on Boost.Build's mangled library names. I disagreed with the mangled
approach from the start, but we're stuck with it.

> I'd prefer to build boost with cmake (with BUILD_VERSIONED == OFF)
> (or with --layout=system, i think, if you're bjamming it).
> If I needed multiple installs of boost I'd simply put the version
> information in the path (e.g. /usr/local/boost-1.35.0). Then the
> 'detection' of boost should be as easy as finding some libs and a header
> file.

There are others ways to help... a solid FindBoost.cmake makes it
easier to deal with (and smooth over) these oddities. Writing
appropriate pkgconfig files would also help significantly.

> We could take that stock FindBoost.cmake and hack out the
> compiler-specific stuff.

No, we can't do this. Rather, we should improve FindBoost.cmake to do
the detection as well as possible.

  - Doug