Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-02 17:08:58

Doug Gregor wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> What is the status of using CMake to run regression tests?
>>
>> What is the status of using CMake to run developers local tests?
>
> Troy's the master here :)

On the client side, regression testing works well, I've had build slaves
running for quite some time. It needs exercise, users that are willing
to tweak and document.

The server (trac plugin) side needs more different fancy displays of
results, summarys, some performance tuning, etc.

Running individual developer tests works fine but could use some kind of
nice summary display.

>> Until CMake is ready to take over both of those tasks, I don't want to see
>> it merged into trunk. It will just cause confusion.
>>
>> I'm very concerned that Rene and I will have the CMake stuff dumped on us
>> long before it is ready to take over from Boost.Build. If it isn't in trunk,
>> then that won't happen. But if it is in trunk then there will be pressure to
>> use it, even if not ready for prime time.
>
> Boost.Build version 2 was in the trunk for literally years before we
> made the switch, and I don't recall that it caused all that much
> confusion. Having CMake in the trunk brings us real benefits, and of
> course it will be clearly marked "experimental" or "in-progress".

I think there is zero chance that the Boost.Build community will simply
disappear. The cmake configuration phase could display a big banner

           THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL BUILD SYSTEM FOR BOOST
                DO NOT ASK BEMAN OR RENE ABOUT THIS
               KEEP MAIL TRAFFIC OFF OF boost-users
             COME SEE US AT boost-cmake_at_[hidden]

... don't know how else to reassure on this. Having to constantly merge
with the trunk is costing me a lot of time I don't have, and it would be
nice if those who are already interested in cmake could see the
CMakeLists.txt in the tree and come over to this list and give the code
some exercise. Surely there is a library author or two who is already
familiar with cmake and is willing to maintain their own
CMakeLists.txt... and this is user experience/feedback that we need and
don't have.

-t