Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-05 21:35:12

on Sat Jul 05 2008, "troy d. straszheim" <troy-AT-resophonic.com> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Fri Jul 04 2008, "Doug Gregor" <doug.gregor-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Wow. That's pretty cool, and it seems pretty snappy from here. Is
>>> there a more library-centric view, rather than a build-runner-centric
>>> view?
>>
>> That is pretty awesome responsiveness. As Doug points out, we need to
>> figure out what UI we really need now.
>>

> Yeah, we've come full circle. So let's talk. I added a 'narrow to project'
> selector, which allows you to see a summary for only one project, say, serialization:
>
> http://boost.resophonic.com/trac/traash?project=Serialization
>
> (note the new 'narrow to project' selection widget at the top) which would
> presumably be handy for library authors/maintainers.

Cool. Biggest problem so far: it's one-dimensional. This is something
that Bitten gets right, at least:

  http://bitten.edgewall.org/build/trunk

You can look at platforms across the top horizontally and see the
testing history vertically.

There's also way too much information in each line.

I think the biggest problem with most of these systems is they default
to showing you lots instead of showing you what you want to know. In
other words, I guess I'm not optimistic we'll get what we want by taking
the original "everything" dump and finding various ways to narrow it
down. I think we need to find out what questions we need to answer and
build /up/ a display that helps us do it.

> But there
> isn't anything like this:
>
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html
>
> just yet.

Good thing, too. That one also displays way too much. :-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing