Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Want to help but need to prioritize TODO list
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-31 17:58:34

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Michael Jackson
<mike.jackson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Doug Gregor wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That argues for merging into the trunk sooner rather than later. OTOH, if
>>> there isn't any new build system documentation and/or the new build
>>> system
>>> is unstable, then merging will cause frustration and start things off on
>>> the
>>> wrong foot.
>>
>> The documentation is decent already, although it could always be
>> better. I think so long as we add big warnings that say "this isn't
>> ready yet!" to the documentation, main CMakeLists.txt files, and as
>> part of the CMake configuration output, we'll be fine.
>>
>> - Doug
>
> So should I be committing what I have to the trunk.

Yes, please.

> I can put some cmake
> code in the top level CMakeLists.txt file that will abort the cmake run
> unless a developer manually edits the CMakeList.txt with an explanation that
> the cmake build system is unstable and should not be used yet. Would that
> satisfy everyone?

Well, I'd settle for just adding a MESSAGE("This is an experimental
Build system for Boost and should not be used at this time"), or
something like it, along with a similar message on the Trac. (Your
Subversion account can also be used to log into an edit the Trac).

  - Doug