Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Boost CMake at BoostCon?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-10 08:23:34

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Fri Jan 09 2009, "Beman Dawes" <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Is anyone planning to submit a BoostCon proposal for a talk, tutorial,
>> or workshop on Boost CMake?
>>
>> Seems like this would be a natural to build momentum.
>
> I've been considering that.

Great!

Here are some off the top of my head thoughts, intended to stimulate discussion:

It seems to me that there are several different Boost CMake tasks
someone might want to accomplish, and documentation and/or training
needs to be oriented toward those tasks. The tasks might be broken
down like this:

1) Build one or more libraries, possibly with variants.

2) Test one or more libraries locally.

3) Set up simple build and test configurations for a library that
does not require any deep understanding of Boost CMake.

4) Learn enough about Boost CMake to be able to set up complex
configurations, or set up configurations that do not follow the
standard patterns. Be able to support other users and help maintain
Boost CMake.

Docs for tasks 1-3 should contain only material relevant to the task
at hand. IOW, be very task oriented.

For BoostCon, it would be great if there was one session that covered
a bit of an overview and then how to accomplish tasks 1 and 2, and
then another session (or sessions) were devoted to 3 and 4. The 1-2
session would be a prerequisite for the 3-4 session, at least for
those with no prior exposure to CMake.

--Beman