Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Boost.build vs CMake
From: Mike Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-06 12:37:07

<super_bias_section>
  I particularly like CMake. I think it is simple to learn and does
what it is supposed to do without trying to give you the kitchen sick
in the process.
</super_bias_section>

Having said that I have not tried to use Boost.build for anything else
besides building the Boost libraries and even then I find it hard to
figure out just how to do that..

There are lots of helpful people on the CMake mailing list
(www.cmake.org) that can help you get started with your project if
needed. With CMake you can generate many different IDE project files
(VS, Xcode, KDevelop, Eclipse CDT) or just plain Makefiles (Unix,
MSys, MinGW, Cygwin) and a few other native build systems that I am
not familiar with. CMake allows for introspection of the system or
cross-compiling to another system. It has a graphical front end if
that is your cup of tea or can be effectively run from the command
line. All CMake needs to run is a C++ compiler.

The simplest CMakeLists.txt file for HelloWorld would be:

project(helloworld)
add_executable(helloWorld main.c)

Mike