Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: [Boost-cmake] CMake for development testing
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-05 17:09:44

I've finally got a system that I can use to test Boost.Python on MacOS.
bjam is mysteriously busted in that regard, but I have it working with
CMake. yay!

However, the way CMake reports failures really doesn't fit in with my
development workflow. I'm doing

      make Python-test

and what I get back looks something like this:

 67/ 79 Testing Python-result Passed
 68/ 79 Testing Python-string_literal ***Failed
 69/ 79 Testing Python-borrowed ***Failed
 70/ 79 Testing Python-object_manager Passed
 71/ 79 Testing Python-copy_ctor_mutates_rhs Passed
 72/ 79 Testing Python-upcast Passed

What's the nature of these failures? It doesn't tell me.

I found the output of those tests is squirreled away in
libs/python/Testing/Temporary/LastTest.log below my build directory.
How? rgrep. This stuff should be made mroe obvious.

Worse, it's in there among all the successful test output, so I have to
dig around to find the failures. Yes, there's another file called
LastTestsFailed.log that tells me which tests failed. So the full
procedure for addressing failures is to find the LastTestsFailed.log
file, then look for each test name listed there in the LastTest.log file
and find the diagnostic output. There /has/ to be a better way. Maybe
there is, and I just haven't learned about it yet?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing