Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: [Boost-cmake] Boost-CMake with recent changes from upstream
From: Isidor Zeuner (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-23 21:26:44

Hello fellow Boosters and CMakers,

as I got tired of deciding between using recent Boost code and
enjoying CMake's convenience, I decided to give it a try and
iteratively applied all the upstream patches since the point where
Boost-CMake was current on the Boost-CMake source. The result can be
acquired from [1].

As it was done in an automated fashion for the greatest part, it
obviously has its rough edges (most importantly, the new libraries are
not built yet). Still, for a number of reasons I found it worth
sharing:

1. I think it's much more satisfying to work on improving
Boost-CMake's shape if it doesn't have to be done on old code
(for this reason, I also think it's a pity that the project got
forked off from upstream in the first place).

2. People using Boost-CMake might have use for the improvements from
upstream.

3. I might not be the only one who finds it useful to be able to dive
into the code's patch history, rather than getting a full release
merged in from time to time.

4. It seems like Boost-CMake is already old enough for upstream
needing to hide us: [2]. So it makes sense to get used to the idea of
adapting Boost-CMake to the new code.

Anyway, happy pulling/flaming/whatever...

Best regards,

Isidor Zeuner

[1] http://gitorious.org/~zeuner/boost/zeuners-boost-cmake
[2] http://gitorious.org/boost/svn/commit/359c8c3e23dc6840cefa45d2d66814a1e8652bf0