Re: [Boost-docs] recommend use of svn copy

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] recommend use of svn copy
From: Andreas Pokorny (andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-13 06:35:05

Hi,

Frank Mori Hess <frank.hess_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> 1) tag the current state of boost_docs/trunk and tell people not to commit to
> it until I was done.
> 2) svn del all the files in the boost_docs/trunk which should have been svn
> copied originally but weren't.
> 3) svn copy the deleted files from the main boost trunk to boost_docs/trunk.
> 4) copy (just plain old copy, not svn copy) the files from the tag made in
> step 1 over a checkout of the newly svn copied files in boost_docs/trunk, and
> then commit them.

Instead of 4) one could do:
4*) You can also take the revision range of everything that happened on the
boost-doc/trunk on files that were only imported there, but exist elsewhere,
and apply it after step 3 onto boost_docs/trunk. That way you ensure that
changes that happened in boost now still exist on boost_docs, and
furthermore all conflcts pop up.

> This would still cause the loss of history for the commits made to these files
> since the creation of boost_docs (that history would only be available when
> looking at the files in the tag made in step 1). When looking at the history
> in the trunk, you would only see the comment made when committing the changes
> in step 4.

Doing step 4*) will also not resurrect the commit comments made in boost_docs
because merges are only done client side. To fix that there is a svnmerge tool:
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py
But I have not used it yet. I am also not sure if it can be used in that case

kind regards
Andreas Pokorny