Re: [Boost-docs] Can't build bjam docs

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Can't build bjam docs
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-19 14:39:52

John Maddock wrote:
> OK, here's the problem:
>
> The stylesheets default to looking for the images in
> $boost_root/doc/html/images, with $boost_root defaulting to "..".
>
> So if you follow the usual convention of putting your docs in a directory
> named "doc" then everything works as before and the generated html looks for
> the images in a location where they aren't usually present: unless you write
> clever Jamfiles to install them as you have :-)

I do have the docs in a "doc" directory, and when I use the default
settings I don't get some images because they point to some non-existent
parent directory:

=== tools/jam/doc/html/index.html
src="../../boost.png"
src="../../doc/html/images/next.png"
===

The latter doesn't work, while the former does.

> Alternatively you can set the xsl param "boost.root" to point to the real
> root directory of the Boost tree and the images and stylesheets under
> boost-root/doc/ will be found: so if there's an update to the central
> stylesheets or images everything gets updated, plus we avoid all those
> needless copies :-)

Of course that works ;-)

> Unfortunately you have <xsl:param>boost.root=. in your Jamfile, so the path
> where the images are expected isn't anything sensible. Is there a
> particular reason for seting that param to that value? Can you either
> remove it or better still set it to <xsl:param>boost.root=../../../.. and
> then everything should work as intended.

No I can't remove it because setting the root to ../../../.. means that
the built docs are not *standalone*. And hence I can't make a Boost.Jam
package with working docs for people to download.

PS. I guess I continue trying to /kludge/ it into a working state. As I
really need to do a bjam release this weekend.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything