Re: [Boost-docs] Inline math phrase and fixed interline spacing in html

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Inline math phrase and fixed interline spacing in html
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-20 19:15:50

Samuel Debionne wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm using QuickBook/BoostBook for my project and finds it very
> usefull.
> Since it's a scientific computing project, I have a lot of equations
> in
> the user documentation. So far, I follow the method develloped by John
> Maddock to create the MathML/PNG/SVG equations and it does a great job
> [1].

Glad the instructions worked OK, the toolchain isn't easy to set up :-(

> And in the css :

> {
> text-align: left;
> font-size: 10pt;
> line-height: 1.5; /* not the greater spacing */
> }
>
> .math-superscript
> {
> position: relative;
> bottom: 0.5em;
> font-size: 0.8em;
> }
>
> .math-subscript
> {
> position: relative;
> top: 0.3em;
> font-size: 0.8em;
> }

Doesn't this break if the user has css turned off?

Just thinking out loud, can we do this with css alone: the "role" attribute
should get passed to the HTML output I think?

> [1] I noticed that a much "smoother" PNG file can be obtained directly
> from MathCast (rather that using Batik) when the Windows XP ClearType
> options is set.

Yep, I noticed that Batik wasn't that good: no anti-aliasing etc. I'm sure
there must be a better way than cut and paste from Mathcast, but I haven't
found it yet.

It's also occured to me that LaTex embedded in quickbook, then preprocessed
to produce .png's and pdf's might be easier all round: I think it's possible
for XEP and FOP to embedd a PDF inside a PDF, but again it's untried...

> [2] To be added to the upcoming quickbook template library ? Is there
> any
> place to contribute ?

Joel?

John.