Re: [Boost-docs] Character encoding on beta site

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Character encoding on beta site
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-29 21:42:22

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Wed Nov 28 2007, "Daniel James" <daniel_james-AT-fmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 28, 2007 11:27 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Well, I used non-ascii characters, so I generated UTF-8.
>>> I've got plenty of UTF-8 ReST output too, I won't be happy about going
>>> back to ASCII.
>> It's not hard to convert, I used:
>>
>> boost-tidy --input-encoding utf8 --ascii bugs.html
>>
>> (boost-tidy being an alias for tidy with the flags for updating boost pages).
>>
>> The resulting patch is attached. Which is more painful - character
>> entities or software which can't deal with UTF-8?
>
> I don't see them as opposing choices. If the software can't deal with
> utf-8, you're forced to use entities, right?

Yes. This is really a question of tool abilities and source code
consistency. It's similar to the source code requirements, specifically
the non-tab requirement. We have it because the tool definition of "tab"
is not fixed. Similarly each persons tools will define the encoding of
text files as they see fit.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything