Re: [Boost-docs] Enabling SVG support in quickbook.

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Enabling SVG support in quickbook.
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-05 23:42:52

John Maddock wrote:
> Unfortunately if you try and use an SVG image inside quickbook using:
>
> [$../my_image.svg]
>
> for example, then the image does not display at all in the (X)HTML output,
> the patch below fixes this, the comments in the code explain what it does
> and why. Turned out to be a bigger patch than I had hoped for... but is
> this acceptable to commit? I had to add some fairly brain-dead SVG/XML
> parsing to get the job done, so if there's a better way I'm all ears :-)

I'm somewhat disappointed that one needs to mess around with the size.
Such peeking into the SVG makes it almost impossible to abstract out the
backend generation. And thinking about this a bit more... Won't the size
in the SVG be meaningless based on the output media? That is, is it
pixels or some other device dependent measure? AFAIK SVG viewport
measurements are unit-less. They are only referential to within the SVG
itself. Reading the docbook docs there are only a few units that would
be portable, and pixels are assumed if the unit is not given. And it
seems that not specifying a content size should work
<http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/imagedata.html#d0e92248>.

So... I'm less than enthusiastic about this patch :-\

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything