Re: [Boost-docs] Getting Started Guide: Suggestion to include info on disk space required

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Getting Started Guide: Suggestion to include info on disk space required
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-30 21:46:05

on Thu Feb 21 2008, Cédric Venet <cedric.venet-AT-student.ecp.fr> wrote:

> What would be nice is to put command lines like these in it:
>
> Msvc 64bits
>
> bjam toolset=msvc address-model=64 debug release threading=multi
> runtime-link=shared link=static --without-serialization --without-wave
> --without-graph --without-mpi --without-python stage
>
> MSVC 32bits
>
> bjam toolset=msvc debug release threading=multi runtime-link=shared
> link=static --without-serialization --without-wave --without-graph
> --without-mpi --without-python stage
>
> GCC 32bits
> bjam toolset=gcc debug release threading=multi link=static
> --without-serialization --without-wave --without-graph --without-mpi
> --without-python stage
>
> And explain the most important option of boost build, which are pretty to
> find.

Are you suggesting the illustration of those particular command lines,
or are they just examples of the sort of thing we might put in the
guide?

Why not write up a specific suggestion for text that should be added,
and where it should go, and submit it in a Trac ticket to
http://svn.boost.org. You can assign it to "dave" and we'll take it
from there.

> My repertories bin+stage weight only 600mo with the msvc32 bits version.
> Building boost is pretty easy once you found how to do it, but it isn't
> explained clearly anywhere (at least I never found).

If you don't find the getting started guide clear, I would appreciate
very much hearing your suggestions on how it can be made clearer.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting