[Boost-docs] [boostbook] Generate filenames which conform better to the guidelines

Subject: [Boost-docs] [boostbook] Generate filenames which conform better to the guidelines
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-16 20:28:01

Hello all,

I've attached a patch which I wrote a while ago. It changes the way
ids are generated so that some the transformations done when
translating the id to file and directory names are now done when
generating the ids. This can deal with the symbols in filenames better
and truncate directory and file names which are longer than the limits
suggested by the boost guidelines. A possible downside is that the
same transformation are also applied to the ids. I actually think this
is a good thing, as we shouldn't be using some of these symbols in ids
- especially dots which can be confused for separators, and it keeps
the ids a little shorter. Ids do get used in URLs (in the fragment
part), so they should be quite conservative.

If there's no objections I'll commit the patch (or something very
similar) soon. I want to test it and review it myself first, as I
wrote it some time ago.

Daniel