Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook documentation

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook documentation
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-08 12:14:35

Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> I'm reading Quickbook documentation, and see this under:
>> "Heading 6":
>>

>> [link section_id.normalized_header_text The link text]
>>
>> and cannot understand it. What is "normalized_header_text", and why
>> do I need that if I want just to refer to a section name?

OK, to refer to a section you need it's ID in the Docbook markup - the
easiest way to do that IMO is to generate the HTML docs and then navigate to
the section you want to link to and copy it's URL, so for example:

http://www.boost.org/doc/tools/build/doc/html/bbv2/tasks/alias.html

would have the section ID:

"bbv2.tasks.alias".

But otherwise...

Quickbook generates nested section ID's:

section1.nested1.nested2

for nested sections, and each part of the name is either:

* The name you gave the section if you used [section:myname My Title].
* The section title with whitespace replaced with "_" if you used [section
My Title].

Any clearer?

HTH, John.