Re: [Boost-docs] Why do the Doxygen member functions comments not appear in the ?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Why do the Doxygen member functions comments not appear in the ?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-12 13:00:11

2009/3/12 Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>:

> You will see below in the synopsis that the member variables at the bottom
> have their comments appended,
> But the functions do not (although the line at the bottom from the fully
> members list shows that there is a comment).

I haven't looked into this deeply and don't really want to get into
changing this kind of thing at the moment, but the code for displaying
functions and methods has a variable, called 'compact', which
determines how the synopsis and reference are displayed. If it's true
then the purpose is displayed in the synopsis, if false then it's in
the reference section below. For methods it's alway false. I expect
that it's like that because it would make the class declaration too
long. The relevant code is at:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/trunk/tools/boostbook/xsl/function.xsl?rev=51647#L480
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/trunk/tools/boostbook/xsl/function.xsl?rev=51647#L839

Also, the current code puts the purpose on the line before the
function, not after it. i.e.

// Output the DTD SVG 1.1 header into the svg g_element document.
void write_header(std::ostream &) ;

Which would be very long for a class with a lot of methods.

I expect that many function declarations are too long to fit the
purpose on the same line, so it'd be hard to do that effectively for
the general case.

Daniel