Re: [Boost-docs] [Quickbook and Boostbook, Boost.Build] some problems on using quickbook and boostbook

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [Quickbook and Boostbook, Boost.Build] some problems on using quickbook and boostbook
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-19 10:29:30

weining hao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working with Suse 10 and using the Quickbook and Boostbook to generate HTML and pdf
> documentation. I've got good documents with boost_1.33.1.
>
> Now I want to construct a project which only includes necessary stuff for making documentation. I
> downloaded boost-build-2.0-m10, (since boost_1.33.1 contains it.) copied quickbook(.exe) to
> usr/local/bin, and set the path of quickbook and boostbook in user-config.jam according to the
> guide of
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/doc/html/quickbook/install.html#quickbook.install.linux Now
> my project docs looks like:
>
> --docs/
> --build-system/
> --html/
> --src/
> --measkern.qbk
> --boost-build.jam
> --Jamroot
>
> Where
> 1) build-system/ is actually the boost-build-2.0-m10;
> 2) html/ is for generating HTML documentation;
> 3) boost-build.jam contains one statement as:
> boost-build build-system ;
> 4) Jamroot file looks like:
> using quickbook ;
> import boostbook : boostbook ;
> boostbook mk : src/measkern.qbk ;
> 5) and without the commented lines, the build-system/user-config.jam is configured as:
> import toolset : using ;
> # Configure gcc (default version)
> using gcc ;
> # Python configuration
> using python : 2.4 : /usr ;
> # BoostBook configuration
> using boostbook
> : /usr/share/xml/docbook/stzlesheet/nwalsh
> : /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/4.2
> ;
> using quickbook
> : /usr/local/bin/quickbook
> ;
> using xsltproc : /usr/bin/xsltproc ;
> using doxygen : /usr/bin/doxygen ;
> using fop : /usr/share/fop-0.20.5/fop.sh : : /usr ;
>
> After running bjam --v2 , I got
>
> python.jam: No such file or directory
> /home/measkern2/docs/build-system/build/toolset.jam:29: in using
> rule python.init unknown in module toolset.
> /home/measkern2/docs/build-system/user-config.jam:56: in modules.load
> /home/measkern2/docs/build-system/build-system.jam:61: in load
> /home/measkern2/docs/build-system/kernel/modules.jam:259: in import
> /home/measkern2/docs/build-system/kernel/bootstrap.jam:120: in boost-build
> /home/measkern2/docs/boost-build.jam:1: in module scope
>
> There is the file python at usr/bin/. And even after modifying the path of python as
> using python : 2.4 : /usr/bin ;
> , same error occurs.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is there something wrong in my project leading to the above error?

I believe that whatever you have at /home/measkern2/docs/build-system/ does not
have tools/python.jam

> 2) I have to download the Boost-build package for generating documentation, even Suse 10 has some
> pre-install Boost packages: boost, boost-devel, boost-doc, boost-jam. Am I right?

I think so.

> 3) If I am only
> interested in Quickbook and Boostbook, and for building the above project, is boost-build-2.0-m10
> enough, or it's better to follow the boost-build-2.0-m12 or even higher version in the future?

It is always best to use either SVN HEAD version of Boost.Build or the nightly build. Failing
that, the version from Boost 1.39 release.

> If I use the boost-build-2.0-m12, does that mean I need to download the new Boost version
> (e.g. boost-1.39.0 which includes boost-build-2.0-m12) and generate new quickbook(.exe) to
> match the new build system? In that case, something should also be done with the Boostbook
> configuration?

I do not thing that anything of that is required, unless you want to take advantage of new
features or fixes in quickbook or the rest of documentation tools.

- Volodya