Re: [Boost-docs] Too many copies of graphics like boost.png?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Too many copies of graphics like boost.png?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-10 23:06:51

2009/12/10 Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>:

> Would it be better if we had a separate structure for work that is good enough
> users trying to use - perhaps even review ready?
> There has been some discussion about this elsewhere - 'Incubator' has been
> mentioned as  a name.  It should have a structure closely matching Trunk.
> Documentation and example could use techniques as you show to ensure that the
> .css and image files at BOOST_ROOT are used?

Sandbox used to mirror the trunk. The problem is that many libraries
fell out of date. Accepted libraries were added to trunk but were left
in the sandbox which meant that new libraries were developed against
old versions causing problems. If we're going to have such a thing,
someone will have to take responsibility for maintaining it, even if
it's mostly automated.

> For example in Trunk, I've 843 .png files (after a build (with some errors) of
> the doc jamfile).

Compared to 4616 html files in doc/html alone.

> It might be useful to have some docs for doc writers on The Right Way to Handle
> Images.  It would certainly help me :-)
>
> But perhaps there are more exciting things to do...

Well, nothing I'd describe as exciting.

I just checked in an example of how a library might be structured to:

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/example/

If anyone wishes to develop it further, feel free (for starters, it
could do with illustrations of code snippets, sample tests, 'boost:'
links, more documentation sections).

Daniel