Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook blocks for concepts

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook blocks for concepts
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-10 14:32:27

[mailto:boost-docs-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of John Maddock
> Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:08 PM
> To: Discussion of Boost Documentation
> Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook blocks for concepts
>

> >> It'd probably be better to use the UTF-8 characters rather than entities.
> >
> > Ah, they expand to unicode character escapes not named entities: that
> > makes
> > them completely independent of output format and character encoding. The
> > names are just used for the template names.
>
> >Yes, I had a look at the file before posting. It's generally better to
> >avoid escaping if possible. I wasn't suggesting that you use UTF-8
> >instead of the templates, but that you use UTF-8 instead of the
> >entities in the templates (see attached, hopefully it'll survive
> >transit).
> >
> >I would like to improve unicode support. Since spirit's improving its
> >support it shouldn't be too hard. At the very least, I should check
> >for a BOM before the next release (at the moment it thinks it's text).
>
> I simply don't see why that would be better - in fact I've had endless
> problems whenever a non-ascii character shows up in the XML - character
> escapes are fully supported by both XML and HTML, and have the big advantage
> of displaying correctly in my text editor - or any text editor for that
> matter - unlike the UTF-8 !

Aside - non-ascii in source code (comments) causes great trouble too - accented
and umlauted for example - when you get the pdf rendering it fails and finding
the offending character(s) in the source causes hair loss ;-)

Of course this should not happen - it is forbidden by the C++ Standard, but
allowed by MS - don't ignore the warning!

(Tough if you have one of these funny letters in your name! But that's life -
could be worse).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow