Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Breaking a line

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Breaking a line
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-25 20:39:31

On 25 January 2011 18:15, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> FWIW there should be a way to define an XSLT transform for a certain
>> Boostbook tag to use the appropriate HTML+CSS combo for properly
>> displaying a "broken line" without having to use the <br/> tag in
>> HTML. I just don't know enough Boostbook to be able to do that though.
>
> It's only really possible to do this via a processing instruction hack:
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/LineBreaks.html

I really should get round to dealing with processing instructions.

For anyone who doesn't know, the way quickbook deals with newlines is
to use a '<sbr/>' tag. These are only valid in very specific locations
(only command synopsis and BNF notation I think) - certainly not in
paragraphs which is where they appear in quickbook generated
documentation. The docbook xsl conversion to html does support them
but there's a good chance that they won't work elsewhere.

http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/sbr.html

The warnings probably could be less noisy and less harsh, but because
of this I wouldn't want to go warning free, since this is a potential
problem.

Daniel