Re: [Boost-docs] Boost-wide concept docs

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Boost-wide concept docs
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 23:11:53

On 2/3/2011 5:07 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 2/3/2011 1:52 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>>>

>>> From the trunk as of now:
>>> bjam --help boostbook
>>
>> Produces:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I do not say anything there about pdf. Then I try:
>>

> Try updating. T meant "as of now" literally.

OK, I updated and received more information:

"Module 'boostbook':

   This module defines rules to handle generation of documentation from
   BoostBook sources.

   The type of output is controlled by the <format> feature which can
have the
   following values:

     * html: Generates html documention. This is the default.
     * xhtml: Generates xhtml documentation
     * htmlhelp: Generates html help output.
     * onehtml: Generates a single html page.
     * man: Generates man pages.
     * pdf: Generates pdf documentation.
     * ps: Generates postscript output.
     * docbook: Generates docbook XML.
     * fo: Generates XSL formating objects.
     * tests: Extracts test cases from the boostbook XML.

   format is an implicit feature, so typing pdf on the command line (for
   example) is a short-cut for format=pdf.

Module 'boostbook' classes:

   Use --help boostbook.<class-name> to get more information.

   * boostbook-generator:
   * xinclude-scanner:

Module 'boostbook' rules:

   Use --help boostbook.<rule-name> to get more information.

   * boostbook: Creates a boostbook target.
   * init: Initialize BoostBook support.

...found 1 target..."

Still it would be very nice if the various <format>xxx: were actually
documented somewhere. Without that information using the the <format>
options is just a guess for me.

>> bjam --help boostbook.pdf:
>>
>> "...found 1 target..."
>>

>>> It should probably also be listed here:
>>> http://www.boost.org/doc/tools/build/doc/html/bbv2/overview/builtins/features.html.
>>>

>> Nothing there about pdf either.
>>

> Oh, sorry. I meant that that page ought to be
> updated.

Thanks for your help. When Boost Build works it is beautiful but the
lack of a complete set of documentation makes it difficult to use correctly.