Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Processing names with more than one underscore ( _ )

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Processing names with more than one underscore ( _ )
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-12 19:51:57

On 2/12/2011 9:38 AM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 2/11/2011 6:03 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>>
>>> Identifiers are normally marked up as code, which doesn't require
>>> escapes.
>>
>> But in quickbook one may casually mention some identifier. Are you
>> suggesting I should put backtick every mention of such an identifier ?
>> That seems onerous to me. So if I start writing something like:
>>
>> Uaing the BOOST_TTI_HAS_TYPE macro it is....
>>
>> I must backtick the BOOST_TTI_HAS_TYPE identifier each time ?
>>

> Well actually, it should be [macroref BOOST_TTI_HAS_TYPE].
> It's fairly common practice to define quickbook macros
> for everything like this.

One can do whatever manipulations one wants to keep from having to
escape underscores in names which have the form of '_seq_' but it still
does not make having a simple format, which one can not turn off, easy
to use. I am merely suggesting that this simple format, which naturally
causes many headaches when used with names which are ubiquitous when
documenting Boost libraries, be turned off by some option. Is that
really that hard to do for quickbook ?

If Boost was not so adamant about all lowercase names ( except with
macros ), whose parts may be separated by underscores, as against mixed
lowercase/uppercase names, whose parts may be separated by capital
letters, I would not worry about this very much, since I would not have
to use underscore separated name parts so much. But since Boost forces a
library developer to use ther recommendations, surely quickbook can make
it easier for us in this regard.