Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Processing names with more than one underscore ( _ )

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Processing names with more than one underscore ( _ )
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-15 00:30:27

On 15 February 2011 00:05, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I honestly do not think that objecting to the way a quickbook redundancy,
> which you have to admit the "Simple markup for formatting" is since it can
> all be done in another less intrusive way, causes problems when entering
> perfectly normal text for Boost C++ programmers in a quickbook document, is
> being "opposed to the whole philosophy."

I was referring to things like this:

On 12 February 2011 02:03, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> But in quickbook one may casually mention some identifier. Are you
> suggesting I should put backtick every mention of such an identifier ? That
> seems onerous to me.

Marking up identifiers as code seems like a good idea to me, and worth
the effort.

On 15 February 2011 00:05, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> But I also have a feeling from that comment that the "Simple markup for
> formatting" is the way Docbook accepts text and is not Quickbook specific.

It's a quickbook thing. Docbook is xml based so normal xml rules apply.

> If that is the case I can understand why you think the way you do about my
> suggestion, since I agree that attempting to change the way Docbook operates
> is impossible. But if it is purely a Quickbook convention I do not
> understand why you think my suggestion is so bad, even if you disagree with
> it.

The only way to do it would be to break backwards compatibility or to
introduce an alternative dialect. Both of which I try to avoid. If I
was designing quickbook from scratch, I might not include this, since
underlining is very rarely used. But it's too late now.

Daniel