Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] [style] adjusting the text column width

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] [style] adjusting the text column width
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-27 18:41:52

On 27 March 2011 19:17, Julian Gonggrijp <j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> John Maddock wrote:
>
>> You are of course free to set the stylesheet to something other than "boost.css" when generating your docs.
>
> You say "when generating your docs". Does that mean passing some
> argument on the command line, or adding a line to the BoostBook XML
> file, or to the QuickBook file? Or did you actually mean "You are of
> course free to edit the output HTML files in order to link to another
> stylesheet"? ;-)

You can use an xsl parameter, add this to the appropriate part of the Jamfile:

    <xsl:param>html.stylesheet=path/to/file.css

The path has to be relative to the destination directory.

>>> At the option of the maintainers, this email may also be considered a
>>> request for a permanent change to the Boost stylesheets, because I
>>> think all Boost documentation would improve considerably if the column
>>> width were constrained to about 80en or about 600px.
>>
>> That actually might not be a bad idea, as to how to go about it, I have no idea :-(
>
> I'm glad that you're open to the idea, anyway. :-)
>
>> It might also require a bit of fiddling around to prevent code and tables from overflowing to the right, or looking all cramped up... sometimes you need the width!
>
> Yes that's absolutely true. I guess I'll just try to make it work in a
> proper way, and if it works out I'll post a patch for the Boost
> stylesheet. No idea when I'm really going to do that, though.

Just need to add something like this to 'doc/html/boostbook.css':

    html
    {
        max-width: 80em;
    }

But I don't think that will work on all versions of IE. I'm planning
to write a new stylesheet soon, but I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Daniel