Re: [Boost-docs] [Quickbook] Different rendering in Chrome [FIXED]

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [Quickbook] Different rendering in Chrome [FIXED]
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-09 12:40:02

On 9 June 2011 13:13, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> OK, patch attached.
>
> Creates a new xsl:param: "boost.section.newpage.depth" which acts much like
> chunk.section.depth but on PDF rather than HTML output.  Defaults to 1 (put
> top level sections on new page only).  A more detailed description is in the
> patch - is there anywhere to document Boost-specific xsl:param's BTW?

No, I don't think there is at the moment, but if you add any, it
should go in the boostbook documentation for now.

> OK to commit?

Yes (I assume you're asking me, I'm not really the best person to be
in charge of boostbook, my xsl isn't that great).

> I note that there are still issues with Doxygen generated reference docs. In
> particular "Synopsis" block titles are rendered in a much larger font that
> should be used - often larger than the title of the enclosing section :-(
>  This is particularly noticeable in the PDF builds, but is true of the HTML
> docs as well.

The html could be fixed with css, although it is wrong that the
synopsis header is at the same level as the main header. We really
should be using 'h1' for the main header, but I'm not sure how to do
that without messing up the docbook.

> Seem's like the problem is that the reference docs use a mixture of section,
> refentry, synopsis and refsect2 blocks.  Unfortunately, our ability to
> format these consistently is nothing like our ability to control nested
> sections.  Would we lose anything if we replaced all these different blocks
> with nested sections throughout?

I don't know. I think Steven knows more about the docbook generated
for reference documentation than I do. I would prefer to use more
semantic markup where possible, but if it causes problems then maybe
we shouldn't. I'll have a closer look at it later.