Re: [Boost-docs] [Quickbook] No longer able to build the regex docs?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [Quickbook] No longer able to build the regex docs?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-21 12:41:39

On 21 June 2011 12:38, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Understood, but this sounds more like an accidental back door, than a
> deliberate feature, in any case it appears not to be documented?  It's also
> easy to accidently fall into this back door by writing \< as I did in the
> regex docs.

I don't know, it dates back to the original version of quickbook.
Quickdoc didn't have the feature. I think it went unnoticed because
there's never any need to escape the characters which matter, so it's
rarely done. The quickbook documentation says:

"The backslash may be used to escape a single punctuation character.
The punctuation immediately after the backslash is passed without any
processing. This is useful when we need to escape QuickBook
punctuations such as [ and ]."

'without processing' is a little ambiguous.

I had a look through our documentation, and it looks like it's never
used for <.> or & (the only instances of '\<' etc. was in the regex
docs). \" is used in at least one place (probably by accident), but it
won't break anything to encode that. So changing it should be safe. I
think I'll change it in 1.48.0.