Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-19 17:54:40

Wow indeed! (Anything that is devised by Knuth has got to be good!).

> But really, it's not just aesthetics. What I hate most is the insane and fragile toolchain that's
sooo
> impenetrable to hacking. I'd insist that the way to move forward is to get rid of this nasty
toolchain, or at
> least provide an alternative, more reasonable, more hackable, toolchain. LaTeX is vastly more
refined and
> mature.

I'll happily go with that - I've suffered grievously with the toolchain (but mostly unnecessarily
through lack of good documentation of the toolchain and its foibles. Now I've got going, I am
knocking stuff out quite quickly).

But I'm still adamant that a good toolchain should allow us to build a source-linked C++ reference
automatically, pulling in what has been 'handwritten' about classes, functions, macros, typdefs -
the info that might be described as 'concepts' - parameters, returns, throws...

Even if the toolchain is more complicated - inevitable?

Paul

PS I've looked very briefly at enabling LaTex output from the hated Doxygen. It produces .tex files
which look using a text editor to have the same content as the html. But I'm not clear how to view
or use these files? It there any recommended viewer for these .text files.

Also some pdf files and .eps files showing inheritance.

If and how to use this is beyond my current knowledge.