Re: [Boost-docs] [docbook->html] support for MathML

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [docbook->html] support for MathML
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-21 01:46:29

AMDG

On 10/20/2011 09:17 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>>> <inlineequation>
>>> <mml:math>...</mml:math>
>>> </inlineequation>
>>>
>>> The <mml:math> block would of course be replaced by an <xi:include> that
>>> includes the mml file.

I can't get the xincludes to work.

a) Manual <xi:include href="..."/> fails because
   the path is interpreted relative to the BoostBook
   file which is somewhere in the build directories.
b) [xinclude ...] fails because xinclude is
   a block level element, and this is a phrase
   template.

I think I can fix this, but it's going to
mean quickbook changes.

>> That doesn't quite work. The problem is that
>> mml:math needs to be inside <inlinemediaobject>,
>> because we still need the other alternatives.
>> Looking at the docbook stylesheets, it looks
>> like
>>
>> <imageobject>
>> <mml:math>...</mml:math>
>> </imageobject>
>>
>> is accepted, although it's just pass-through.
>
> Ah yes, I forgot that the quickbook front end doesn't know what the
> ultimate target format is :-(

Even if we were only generating HTML,
I still want the PNG as a fallback.

> If wrapping in an imageobject works, then great lets try that even
> though it's not valid Docbook - as long as the MathML gets stripped from
> FO output otherwise we'll have validation errors when generating the PDF's.

It should get stripped out automatically,
since the processing of mediaobject is
designed to pick one element.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe