Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook block element

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook block element
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-21 18:56:37

On 21 October 2011 16:52, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 10/21/2011 08:40 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>>
>> How about a "block-template" as well as a "template" ?
>>
>> I.e. templates are always expanded as phrases, and block-templates as
>> blocks?
>>

> The current rule is that a block template
> has a new line after the argument list.

Confusingly, the 'block' element is different from a block template, a
block template contains blocks and used to be treated as a phrase
element while a 'block' element is contains a phrase but is treated as
a block element. So they're sort of the opposite.

In quickbook, there are blocks containing blocks (eg. note), blocks
containing a phrase (eg. headers), a phrase element containing blocks
(footnote) and the normal phrase elements (such as bold). There's also
the more complicated elements such as table, sect etc. So when
implementing elements as templates, something a bit more sophisticated
is needed.

I also don't want to have named 'block templates' for a few reasons.
As I mentioned above, they're not what you expect block templates to
be. I also want this to be usable outside of templates and I think
it's a good idea to strongly associate it with its content. Also, I
think that if we have alternative targets for quickbook, that'll
probably require having different types of templates, so I don't want
to get into that area just yet.

I thought of calling the element something like 'escapedblock' but
that isn't strictly speaking correct, although I'm pretty sure escaped
markup is its only use. Maybe it should be an error to use it without
escaped markup?