Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-22 20:15:44

on Sat Oct 22 2011, Joel de Guzman <joel-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/2011 5:08 PM, Daniel James wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> is a single element list with 2 elements, but it says it's a 2 element list.
>
> Jeepers! Describing such a simple thing in english makes me dizzy! :-)
>
> [snip]
>
>> I think you'll need to add another built-in function for calling
>> function arguments, such as:
>>
>> [def foo a][[`call [`a]]]
>>
>> Otherwise consider:
>>
>> [def foo a][[`a]]
>> [def bar][x]
>> [foo [bar]]
>>
>> Does invoking [`a] return a list of one item, or the text 'x'?
>
> Let me re-code that using the latest syntax tweak
> (http://pastebin.com/rvQfCVKh),
>
> [def foo a][[a]]

Especially if you're inspired by S-expressions, I can't imagine any good
excuse to invent a new syntax when lisp already has a syntax for this
sort of thing. If we need to use square brackets instead of round ones
for legacy (or other) reasons, that's fine, but I don't at all see why
it makes sense to choose a syntax where of all things there's no outer
set of parens around the entire
function/macro/template/whatever-you-call-this-thing. Why not do this:

  [def foo[a] [a]]

?

--
Dave Abrahams