[Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-26 08:41:40

On Tuesday, 25 October 2011, Joel de Guzman wrote:

> On 10/25/2011 6:02 PM, Daniel James wrote:
> > On 25 October 2011 10:14, Matias Capeletto <matias.capeletto_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> [custom_section This is not]
> >>
> >> The only thing that it will change for the user is that he will have
> >> to wrap this kind of lines:
> >>
> >> [custom_bold This is not a paragraph]
> >
> > If anyone doesn't realise, I proposed a 'block' element in another
> > thread to deal with this issue.
>
> I think I'm still confused with it and the whole lot of issues
> including how it was before and how it is now, etc. Can we do a
> reset and tell us how this 'block' element can help with
> the issues we are discussing (namely the wiki as a decoupled
> preprocessor and a template engine that does not know anything
> about wiki style markups), please?

The problem is that to do a decent job of generating documentation, the
engine needs to understand the document structure (for chunking, generating
paragraphs, anchor placement, footnotes etc.), and that can't be known until
after templates have been expanded. So you probably need some form of
representation, i.e. the document's 'DOM' (although I'm not suggesting that
you copy XML's DOM), which you can transform appropriately. As far as I can
tell, the language you're proposing isn't designed to deal with this. I
mentioned the 'block' element not to suggest it should be used here, but to
point out it's an attempt at dealing the same problem. You'll need a much
richer representation.