Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-26 10:12:19

On 26 October 2011 11:02, Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> The problem is that to do a decent job of generating documentation, the engine needs to
>> understand the document structure (for chunking, generating
>> paragraphs, anchor placement, footnotes etc.), and that can't be known until after. the
>> templates have been expanded. So you probably need some form of representation, i.e
>> document's 'DOM' (although I'm not suggesting that you copy XML's DOM), which you can
>> transform appropriately. As far as I can tell, the language you're proposing isn't
>> designed to deal with this. I mentioned the 'block' element not to suggest it should be
>> used here, but to point out it's an attempt at dealing the same problem. You'll need a
>> much richer representation.
>
> Obviously, we disagree here. I believe the wiki can and should be
> a preprocessor without full knowledge of the full document schema.
> I think you are overstating the scope of "the problem", which is
> simply to know what are to be considered blocks and phrases. There
> are various ways to deal with this. Matias suggested a simple
> solution. There surely are other solutions.

Well, I mentioned some other issues as well. But can you explain to me
something simple? Say, how a list will be transformed from wiki markup
to the final document. That doesn't touch on anything I mentioned, but
it will do a better job of illustrating what you're planning. I might
have misunderstood what your intermediate representation is going to
be.