Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Direct code import...

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Direct code import...
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-30 05:38:47

on Sat Oct 29 2011, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>> I wouldn't call this literate programming, as I think it annoys
>> literate programming enthusiasts. See:
>>
>> http://www.perl.com/pub/tchrist/litprog.html
>
> I guess it depends on whether one considers literate programming a
> general concept of having documentation and code interleaved vs. about
> some particular tool that implements the ideas ;-)

>From that response it doesn't seem like you followed the link. My
understanding from reading it is that it depends on whether one
considers literate programming a general concept of having documentation
and code interleaved or the use of a particular set of capabilities,
specified by Knuth, that includes the ability to reorder presentation of
parts of the code.

The author of the article seems to be saying that by using the term
Literate Programming loosely people are diluting and weakening a
powerful distinction.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing