[Boost-docs] Experimenting with equation (MathJax) support

Subject: [Boost-docs] Experimenting with equation (MathJax) support
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-01 19:28:21

I've been experimenting with the tentative equation handling support in
Trunk, and have some observations:

* There's no docs.... took me a while to figure out what to do...
* I added quickbook markup as follows to doc/test/test.qbk to test both
LaTex and MathML support:

[section Equations]

This equation is formatted from Latex text:

'''<inlinemediaobject><textobject role="tex">ax^2 + bx + c =
0</textobject></inlinemediaobject>'''

This equation is formed from MathML:

'''<inlinemediaobject><textobject role="MathML"><?dbhtml-include
href="test.mml"?></textobject></inlinemediaobject>'''

[endsect]

Then I modified the Jamfile to add an xsl:path attribute so that test.mml
could be found in the current directory, and everything builds OK, raw HTML
output looks OK to.

* The equations are both rendered correctly in Firefox, but MathJax support
is only present in the HTML if a Tex object is present - I guess some change
to our XSL stylesheets is required for the latter (and that I can't set the
role to "tex" as the HTML output won't be correct)?
* IE9 renders neither equation correctly - is this a fatal flaw, or is there
something I else I need to do to make this work?
* I haven't tried SVG or PNG fallbacks yet.... that's next!

Thanks, John.