Re: [Boost-docs] 'Update to latest Boost version' option does not get to the right link

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] 'Update to latest Boost version' option does not get to the right link
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-04 20:57:12

On 27 May 2015 at 12:59, Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've been ticked off by a Wikipedia editor for not providing the approved citation (links to
> Wikipedia itself are not regarded as reliable - no self-referencing ) and I'm OK with that (one
> must reference www.boost.org rather than Wikipedia article boost Libraries).
>
> But I'm not sure if/how to provide a link to the function in question (in this case for example
> float_next).
>
> The user would like to just click on to the link float_next and get to the docs for that.
>
> Or we can let a Well-Known Search Engine help us out, say searching for "boost.org float_next"

FWIW you can put the version number in your search, e.g. 'boost 1.58.0
float_next', and it will often work because I add the version number
to the title of the page. I realise that's a bit obscure.

> That works up to a point - it get to
>

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/math/doc/sf_and_dist/html/math_toolkit/utils/next_float/fl
> oat_next.html
>
> but that isn't the most recent version.

There are two competing problems here - we don't want to break old
links, but we also want the search engine to find the latest version.
I don't know any way to solve one without harming the other. Would be
easier if people didn't keep moving their files around.

> There is a box acknowledging "This is an old version" and kindly offering to get the most recent
> version (of the home page).
>

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/libs/math/doc/html/math_toolkit/next_float/float_distance.html
>
> but that just gets to http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/ which isn't really what the hapless wants :-(

Not an easy problem to solve I'm afraid, since there's no equivalent
file to the old one. I suppose I could detect that it's part of 'math'
and link to 'libs/math/'.