Re: [Boost-docs] interface between library documentation and Boost website

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] interface between library documentation and Boost website
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-16 15:50:35

From: Boost-docs [mailto:boost-docs-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Rene Rivera
Sent: 15 July 2015 18:11
To: Discussion of Boost Documentation

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

PS It is sad that on github, clicking on the index.html file shows the raw html, not what you see
using a browser. There is a github.io bit of javascript, but it is very partially successful :-(

In predef I use the more direct method of getting the web server to indicate the correct mime types <https://rawgit.com/boostorg/predef/develop/doc/html/index.html> which the RawGit <https://rawgit.com/> service provides.

This is very useful (and I’ve got it to work with one of my own Github projects).

However it requires you to have all the *generated html* in the GIT repro and that’s a major PITA to work with, especially for collaborative working. After some trauma doing this, and following widespread advice, I have stopped doing that and removed any generated files from GIT.

(But I might reconsider that putting the built documentation is *only* the – usually slowly changing master branch?)

So this works fine if you have project whose documentation is small (if high complexity), but for meaty libraries with lots of links, it’s not so much help.

For released libraries, the boost.org site is fine.

For decent sized-libraries under development, I have yet to find a better method than using a separate place to dump the whole thing like Dropbox.

Thanks for this suggestion nonetheless.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow