Re: [Boost-docs] Can we have *lastest* directory for boost documentation?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Can we have *lastest* directory for boost documentation?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-23 09:28:57

From: Boost-docs [mailto:boost-docs-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Rene Rivera via Boost-docs
Sent: 21 April 2018 16:48
To: Discussion of Boost Documentation
Cc: Rene Rivera

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 10:04 AM Zongren Zhang via Boost-docs <boost-docs_at_[hidden]> wrote:

I am glad that boost.org shows a friendly popup message when I am reading an older version of documentaiton.

> This is the documentation for an old version of Boost. Click here to view this page for the latest version.

Most of the time I visit boost.org website directed by search engines, and none of them will give me the latest version. Sometimes I noticed the popup message, but if I didn't, I was confused for a long time.

Why don't we create a symbolic named *lastest* to the directory corresponding to latest version? For example,

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_66_0/doc/html/boost_asio.html

can be reached by,

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/latest/doc/html/boost_asio.html

I think this will produce better search egine results in the long run.

There's already a <http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/latest/doc/html/boost_asio.html> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/release/doc/html/boost_asio.html link, that redirects to the latest release.

and also the similar and sometimes useful

   http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/develop/doc/html/boost_asio.html

“This is the documentation for a snapshot of the develop branch, built from commit d2464347d3 <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/commit/d2464347d3d0d3e786d08aecf74a3e93e7523f99> .”

which tells you about work-in-progress.

But neither is still not put top of the list by the search engines L

Has anyone any ideas on how to encourage search engines to do that?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse