Subject: Re: [idea] Build GIL stand-alone
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-21 00:27:37

On 2018-06-20 04:43 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Hi Stefan, All,
>
> Stefan, in your comment to PR [1], you shared this wish:
>
> "I'd really like to be able to build Boost.GIL stand-alone,
> but that ain't possible with Boost.Build anyhow..."
>
> This sounds like an interesting idea and I guess it may be possible
>
> Could you elaborate what you have in mind and
> what specific obstacles do you see?
>
> [1] https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/97#pullrequestreview-130372099

Well, the use-case I have in mind is the same I keep repeating on the
Boost mailing list, as well as on the Boost.Build list, with respect to
all Boost libraries:

Improve the build system such that any Boost library can be built not
in-tree with the entire Boost superproject checked out, but only with in
its own stand-alone repo, where any references to prerequisite Boost
libraries are met from externally installed Boost libraries. (On Linux
distributions at least, I can just install individual Boost libraries,
typically into /usr/include and /usr/lib[64], so it would be great if I
could build Boost.GIL (say) using that.

I understand that Boost.Build currently doesn't support that, but I have
managed to do exactly that with Boost.Python, using faber
(https://stefanseefeld.github.io/faber), and I have indeed started work
on doing the same with Boost.GIL (see for example
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/fabscript).

Stefan

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners