Subject: Re: Backward compatibility
From: Christian Henning (chhenning_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-05 14:59:23

Hi Mateusz,

> > I think just the introduction of c++11 features like variadic templates
> > will "dramatically" reduce the source code and I guess will change the
> API
> > in some ways.
>
> I'd suggest to open GitHub issue and point places that would benefit
> from variadic templates and and give example of such change(s).
> That would make it clearer to any potential takers and
> archive the idea for future.

> > Same goes for features already in gil like SFINAE which can
> > be expressed better these days in c++17.
>
> Prrr, hold your horses :-), we've just entered C++11.
>
> I don't mind switching to C++14 or even C++17, but it should come with
> clear rationale. BTW, Switch to C++11 was the easiest one, it's just
> obvious and necessary at numerous levels.
>
> I personally am not interested in re-writing GIL just for the sake of
> using the latest & greatest C++, however exciting this idea may be.
>
> Again, I'd be careful about aiming for re-design and re-implementation
> - it may require new review or it may not, who knows. I don't know.

I think and that's only my personal opinion, take the existing concepts and
go to the boost community to get some idea on how to proceed. It's all
about learning and it should be fun at the same time.

I might write up the email once the new gil is released and we don't get
too many complains... :-)

Regards,
Christian

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners