Subject: Re: Fwd: [boost] Library devs only: Boost v2.x distro design questions
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-24 20:12:49

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 22:07, Stefan Seefeld <stefan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 2018-10-24 04:00 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> >
> > Shall we agree on common ground for GIL?
> >
> > I think it would be better to speak as a team than posting
> > individually - there's enough chaos already :-)
>
> ...but as I'm speaking for multiple library projects, I felt compelled
> to answer individually already. (Hope my answers weren't too much
> out-of-line with your expectations ;-) )

I've just seen your answers. I think, you've made reasonble points.

I, personally, would take more relaxed stance about build system
- I can live with whatever is decided really :-)

> > I personally am willing to leave the answer to Stefan,
> > as GIL team representative who is also interested
> > and experienced regarding general Boost development
> > direction, architecturing building, packaging configuration etc.
> >
> > We are already at C++11, but I don't mind jumping to C++17.
>
> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand what Niall is driving
> at. If we were looking for an opportunity to remove cruft from
> Boost.GIL, a move to "Boost 2" may provide such an opportunity. But
> then, we are already pretty liberally removing reliance on old
> standards, so not much would change for GIL itself. Right ?

Correct.

I wouldn't look for deeper meaning of Nial's poll.
I would focus on giving answers to the questions, and wait what he's
up next for :)

> But, moving to a fictitious "Boost 2" may provide an opportunity to
> break free from other problems we are being plagued with, notably
> concerning infrastructure. Things as moving towards full modularity or
> autonomy (choice of tools, build and release processes, etc.) would
> become easier to achieve. But then, given the specific questions Niall
> asked, I'm very much in doubt that that's what he has in mind.

Yes, I think you're understanding is sound.

> Perhaps he just felt inspired by the discussion(s) triggered by Robert's
> various threads.

Heh, minds and ideas have started rolling too fast on Boost ML :)

Best regards,

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners