Subject: core in value_core and reference_core
From: Mateusz Łoskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-28 19:37:20

Hi,

In two legacy tests, channel.cpp [1] and pixel.cpp [2], there are so called
'core' classes defined, with this comment in [1]:

"// Different core classes depending on the different types of..." [1]

I'm (as not a native speaker) not clear what is the semantic of the word 'core'.
Is this the same as test fixture? Or, an archetype, prime example, a mold?

I have a feeling that provenance of the 'core' name is historic like in 'core
dump' [3]. There must be a good reason why the original GIL authors chose to use
'core' in those classes.

[1] https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/test/legacy/channel.cpp
[2] https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/test/legacy/pixel.cpp
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump