Subject: Re: Maintenance of BOOST_GIL_VERSION
From: stefan (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-25 20:24:58

On 2019-03-25 4:13 p.m., Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Shouldn't we increase the version with every Boost release
> that delivers any changes to GIL code?
>
> The version is described [1]:
>
> /// This is a simple integer that is incremented by one every
> /// time a set of code changes is merged to the develop branch.
> #define BOOST_GIL_VERSION 22
>
> Assuming the description is correct, then every time we merge
> new non-trivial changes from GIL's develop to master for release
> with new Boost version, the BOOST_GIL_VERSION should be
> increased, no?
>
> [1] https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/include/boost/gil/version.hpp

It isn't entirely clear to me what the purpose of that version number
is, i.e. what exactly we want it to capture. But in the absence of any
more robust version scheme, I agree, we should bump it.

(A slightly improved versioning mechanism would generate the
`version.hpp` header using something akin to `git describe --tags
--long`, so the version would contain a mix of tagged version string and
SHA, which allows to easily look up the commit corresponding to the
current version. But that may be a little more involved than we have
time for right now.)

Stefan

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners