Subject: Re: Importance order of Boost.GIL 3 ideas
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-26 12:05:21

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 10:35, Olzhas Zhumabek
<anonymous.from.applecity_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I have found this page:
> https://github.com/boostorg/gil/wiki/Boost.GIL-3-Ideas and would like to
> know which ones have greater priority than others

The ones that are more important to you.

There is no official priority list.
Contributors interested to propose improvements or features to GIL
are free to set priorities according to their needs and wishes.
Contributors are free to pick items from that wiki page of ideas
or items from their own list.

If you aim to pick anything from that wiki page, I'd suggest to
announce it on the list,
just in case anyone is already working on it, especially if you pick
anything from
refactoring and modernisation items.

> 1. Modern C++ usage
>
> I have good grasp of C++'s mechanisms and language constructs.
> [...] I'm not sure though how much important this is [...]

A typical workflows is common to any open source project:
you do your best; you follow project's guidelines;
you submit your work as PR; your work gets reviewed;
you apply improvements if any requested; your work is reviewed again; ...
There is no need worry about nitty-gritty details before starting.

> 3. Performance
>
> Aside from a giant named openCV, I haven't found any library that would
> show performance as one of their benefits.

https://github.com/jcupitt/libvips/wiki/Why-is-libvips-quick
https://github.com/libvips/libvips/wiki/Speed-and-memory-use

You may be interested to read through
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/issues/234

> X. Proposal by Miral Shirah

There is nothing about Miral's proposal on the wiki page you are discussing

> I guess this one is a proposal by another participant?

Participant of what? GIL project?
No, she is not member of GIL project.
Miral submitted proposal to GIL as part of Boost GSoC
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2019

Best regards,

--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.ne