From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-10-26 09:29:38

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 10:57, Pranam Lashkari <plashkari628_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 12:50 AM Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >
> > So, paraphrasing Peter Dimov's sensible suggestion [2] and
> > according to the Boost release schedule [3]:
> >
> > We may declare C++11 support deprecated in Boost 1.75 (December 2020)
> > and drop it in Boost release (1.77?) in August 2021.
> >
> > I think it is a feasible plan with outcome not too distant in the future,
> > and GSoC 2021 could allow C++17 too.
> >
> > I'd like to hear if there are any strong objections.
> >

> In past, I have objected against using newer standards, but if we think
> from the maintenance perspective it makes complete sense to switch to
> c++17(if not c++20😂).
> I have no objection against switching to c++17.
> What needs to be done to deprecate a c++11? is it too much work? do we have
> that much time before the release closes(4 days from now)?

If we all agree about C++17, then the only thing that we need to do
is to announce in the Boost 1.75 release notes that GIL has started
phasing out the C++11 support and from 1.77 it will require C++17

Best regards,

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners