Subject: [Boost-mpi] Develop VS master
From: Alain Miniussi (Alain.Miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-20 22:02:25
Regarding devlop vs master, Marshall Clow (the Release Manager) has
asked what we want to do with the changes waiting in develop w.r.t. the
upcoming 1.65, those current status is:
"Release open for bug fixes and documentation updates. Other changes by
permission of a release manager."
As far as the bug fixes are concerned, the get_data issue has been
merged into master. There could be some merges in the documentation (for
installation related issues). Provided I find a way to generate it
locally. I just realized https://github.com/boostorg/mpi/pull/40 got
lost in the process but I'm going to merge it on it's own. So the
patch/doc aspect being dealt with, what about the new features ?
Unless I'm missing something (been a long time), the current diff
between develop and master mostly consist of:
- the cartesian communicators.
- new all_<gather>[v]
- less visible changes, factorization ...
These are clearly not bug fixes, but some people have been waiting for
it a few years now. Especially for the cartesian communicator.
There are pros and cons merging them now, as it has already been
discussed. And the decision does not belong to us, but It would be
interesting to have everyone's input on this specific situation.
Should we merge before the 1.65 or make it a bug fix and merge after the
release (unless there is a opposition) and let those change mature in
master for some time (but still be able to work on develop, which I do
not fell comfortable doing so with so many differences between develop
I'm oky with both (as long as the merge in made relatively quickly so we
can move on) with a slight preference for keeping 1.65 a bug fix release.
On 15/07/2017 14:08, Alain Miniussi via Boost-mpi wrote:
> On 15/07/2017 14:05, Alain Miniussi via Boost-mpi wrote:
>> I just realized that people with a platform boost installed had their
>> 1.64 distrib building for the wrong reasons... (as long as a
>> "correct" get_data is included, it can come from /usr...).
>> So, considering:
>> a) Since the 1.65 process is ongoing, huge merges should be avoided.
>> b) The lib needs to live on, develop should be merge quickly so that
>> we can get some work done.
>> c) The 1.65 should build for good reason.
>> d) current fixes for the get_data issue are in merges against develop.
>> What about the following proposal:
>> I will manually merge the minimal subset of
>> https://github.com/boostorg/mpi/pull/47 that get master passing the
>> test even when no boost header are present in /usr/include.
>> It's in branch get_data_fix for those interested. Any issue/build
>> report is welcomed.
>> Then, short after 1.65 is out, develop will be merged into master
>> unless someone has issues with it.
>> People can already have a look at
>> https://github.com/boostorg/mpi/pull/46 and
>> I'll answer to the todo list question in another mail.
>> Boost-mpi mailing list
> Boost-mpi mailing list
Boost-Commit list run by troyer at boostpro.com