Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Alisdair Meredith (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-15 13:15:49

[hoping I can finally mail the list]

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> This raises two questions about regression testing with V2:
>
> 1. Should we use static linking by default, or shared linking. Shared
> linking might decrease link times, and binary sizes, but probably not
> all libraries are prepared for shared linking (especially on Windows)

I think this might need to be configured per-toolset.

For instance, there are many bugs in the Borland runtime libraries, so
experienced Borland developers simply statically link all the time - it
is not worth trying to find all the workarounds.

Likewise for debug/release builds. There are some very nasty bugs in
Borland exception handling that show up only in release mode
(specifically, when inline function expansion is enabled) There is no
workaround for these, other than to throw the compiler switch.

I would hate to force these Borland settings on the other compilers,
but currently there is not much to be gained testing Borland in other
configurations.

Hence, testing should (if possible) be configured by toolset.

AlisdairM

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com