Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-01 09:38:48

"Aleksey Gurtovoy" <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> This sort of capability is one thing that we're hoping to get out of
>> BuildBot.
>
> Please stop saying that. It's a red herring. BuildBot by itself is
> uncapable to report _regressions_. To do that, the results need to be
> processed against some previous state, test case by test case. After you
> _do_ identify the failure as a regression (as opposite to an ever
> failing compiler or a new library/test case check in), change-driven
> rebuilds/testing will often help to localize the source of the
> disturbance more precisely, that's for sure. But regression notifications
> per se have no relationship to change-driven rebuilds and the other way
> around.

'Scuse me. When I first found out about BuildBot the guy giving the
talk spent a while on the topic of regression notifications. That
feature later turned out not to have been implemented yet, but I have
assumed there was progress on it in the past 2 years. No?

> Implementing each of these two requires its own investment, and
> saying the opposite doesn't really help our cause.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. I only said it was one of the
things we were hoping to get out of BuildBot. That's true for me, at
least.

> If we want regression notifications badly enough, somebody with
> enough motivation can go and implement them now. BuiltBot is nor a
> prerequisite nor a major help here.

OK, so I guess Doug will do it.

--
Dave Abrahams