Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-14 20:47:30

On Jun 14, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> "Doug Gregor" <dgregor_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Regression testing is most effective when we can immediately see the
>> results of changes to the repository. We know that "immediately" isn't
>> really possible, because Boost takes a long time to build & test and
>> we
>> have limited resources. However, I'd like to shoot for one-day
>> turnaround on each of our primary platforms if possible.

>> What say you?
>
> I've got a mini mac doing almost nothing. I could set it up to run
> regression.py in an endless loop. But only if it basically administers
> itself.

I have my Mac workstation running the tests nightly and have only run
into one major problem where one of the iostream tests was locking up.

> Would that help? The only compiler on it right now is Apple's gcc 3.3.
>
> Would it be OK to run --incremental? That would cut the turnaround
> time a
> lot.

I'm sure it would help! My paranoid side thinks that perhaps one run in
the day should be from-scratch, with the rest of them being
incremental, so that old test results get cleared out.

We don't currently do anything special about continuous-build tests,
although Rene has had the buildbot tester going for a while. At some
point we'll get the capability to do immediate "you broke something!"
e-mails from the continuous testers, but for now the daily e-mails and
keeping the regression tests up-to-date should help us get to a
release... and keep things working after the release.

        Doug

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com